The Internet is an exciting tool that puts vast information at our fingertips. Many of us rely on our computers & email every day of our lives. With so much information out there in the "cyber world", we must be "cyber smart" to make sure our online experience is positive.
The following tips are just a few ideas to help you ensure privacy on your computer:
- Use protection software ("anti-virus software") and keep it up-to-date;
- Don't open email from unknown sources;
- Use passwords that are hard to guess and do not spell a word or name;
- Don't share your passwords or give them out to ANYONE either online or over the phone;
- Take advantage of your software's security features (which you can learn more about by using the software's "Help" feature);
- Protect your computer from intruders by using a firewall;
- Disconnect from the Internet when not in use.
For more information about each of these tips, click here.
The Federal Trade Commission's website contains helpful information for
protecting yourself and your children online, including:
- General Consumer Security Information
- How to be Web Ready
- Protect Kid's Privacy Online
- Shop Online Safely
To learn about Email Safety, please visit our Email and Internet Fraud page.